The world is ever changing, therefore, finding the right degree program for you is a challenge. We offer degree programs at a distance which enable individuals to pursue a degree program that will enhance their career goals where ever they may be. We offer two distance degree programs, a Master of Agriculture and a Doctor of Education joint degree program with Texas Tech University.
ALEC distance education courses will generally be taught utilizing the Texas A&M University learning management system, eCampus.
Students pursuing careers in fields such as agribusiness, international agricultural development, eLearning, or rural community development might seek the Master of Agriculture in Agricultural Development. The program prepares individuals for leadership roles in education, natural resource management, cooperative extension service, and many other professional careers in agriculture and life sciences. The program is generally completed at a distance, however, individuals do have the option to complete on-campus or at-a-distance. MAg Graduate Advising Sheet
- Non-thesis degree program – emphasizes the development of problem-solving skills involved in applying science and technology to benefit humanity.
- Requires completion of 36 semester credit hours (half may consists of courses in the department).
- Residence requirement of 12 semester hours of coursework must be completed during the program. This can be accomplished by registering for on campus or distance courses.
- Degree plans will vary considerably and are generally unique for each individual.
- An internship is a unique feature of the MAg program, whether pursued on-campus or at-a-distance. The internship is completed at the end of formal coursework, and involves either paid or un-paid employment with a cooperating business or agency. Planned in concert by the student, university advisor and business supervisor, the internship normally lasts from three to six months. Three to six credits may be earned for the internship and professional goals.
- A professional paper is required.
The Joint EdD in agricultural education delivered at a distance is offered with the Department of Agricultural Education and Communications at Texas Tech University. Mid-career professionals enter as members of a cohort and advance through the program over four years.
This unique joint program was established in 2000 with the induction of twenty mid-career professionals from Texas. Each new cohort includes individuals in mid-career professionals from many states within the United States; Arizona, California, Georgia, Indiana, Montana, New Mexico, Nevada, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas, and internationally. Graduates are found in a variety of instructional, supervisory, and administrative positions across the education and training professions. Since fall 2004, we have inducted four more cohorts to date. The next cohort Admission process will begin January 2019 to begin Fall 2019.
The joint faculty is a team of 30 faculty members that hold their original academic appointment at Texas A&M University and Texas Tech University. Each faculty member brings expertise and experience that will enhance your academic and professional career. For more information on the specific details of this unique program, visit the Joint Doctor of Education web page.
The Cost of Distance Education
Tuition and fees for distance education programs can vary significantly depending on factors such as Texas or out-of-state residency, and other costs necessary to deliver a course. The following figures are general estimates of tuition and fees for a 3 credit hour course and are based on the latest rate structure. The exact total for tuition and fees will be calculated by the University and may be subject to change each semester.
In-State Students — $2110.00 Out-of-State Students — $3380.00
Additional distance education fees will be assessed based on credit hours enrolled. Most distance education students qualify for the Financial Aid. You may obtain more information about financial assistance from the Scholarships and Financial Aid Office.