Minor in International Development (IDAG)
Department of Agricultural Leadership, Education, and Communications
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
The undergraduate Minor in International Development in Agriculture (IDAG) provides students with formal instruction in international agricultural development concepts and practical experiences through language acquisition, study/research abroad, and/or international fieldwork. The 18 hour IDAG curriculum prepares students for successful post-baccalaureate international careers, or those seeking graduate studies, particularly aligned with the International Agriculture and Resource Management (IARM) Graduate Certificate Program in partnership with the Norman Borlaug Institute for International Agriculture.
Students critically examine current international agricultural issues and/or diversity and communications. The coursework includes 12 credits of foundational IDAG concepts and six hours of upper-division foreign languages or approved international experiences.
Eligibility Requirements to Declare an IDAG Minor
Students must have:
- A cumulative 2.0 GPR or higher and be in good standing with Texas A&M University;
- A declared major;
- Completed 75 hours or less at time of application;
- A meeting with an IDAG advisor; and,
- Complete an IDAG Minor application.
All credits for the IDAG Minor must be completed with a C or higher grade.
- Required Foundational Courses (12 credits) include:
- AGCJ 491—Research (IDAG advisor approved substitution)
- Suggested Electives: (choose any three courses)
- ALEC 350—Global Agricultural Issues
- ALEC 450—Global Social Justice Issues in Agriculture
- ALEC 460—Applying International Development Theories in Agriculture-Guatemala (Spring, odd years)
- ALED 340 – Survey of Leadership Theory-Guatemala (Spring, even years)
- ALED 422—Cultural Pluralism in Agriculture
- ALED 442—Professional Communications in Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Required Practical Skills/Experiences (6 credits) include:
- Upper-division, university-level foreign languages, or
- IDAG advisor approved international experiences (e.g., study or research abroad, internship)
The ALEC Department established application deadlines for all Change of Major and/or Minors as:
- March 10
- June 10
- October 10
Applications for an IDAG Minor must be completed before deadline dates, for entry into the minor the following semester. Use this link to apply today:
If you have any questions about the IDAG Minor, please contact Gary Wingengach at email@example.com