Certification Information

Pass the TExES PPR (#160) EC-12 test and the TExES Agriculture (#172) test. (Do this as soon as eligible. Until passed)You will need to fill out the form on the College of Education website to be able to take the certification exams.  Both exams are offered by computer only.Register to take these tests at http://cms.texes-ets.org Each test costs $120 every time you take it. You will need your TEA ID number to register.Apply for certification on-line (During Block)Visit the SBEC website to apply:  https://secure.sbec.state.tx.us/SBECOnline/login.aspNote:  Application Fee: $77.  Your program is Texas A&M University-University-Based, and your certification area is Agricultural Science & Technology 6-12. Applying for certification triggers the next step—the fingerprinting process.FBI Criminal Record Check Fingerprints (After Applying Online)

Visit http://www.tea.state.tx.us/index2.aspx?id=5535&menu_id=840&menu_id2=794 for details.~ If you choose to use the new digital fingerprinting vendor, you will need to pay $47 online prior to using the vendor’s digital services.~ You will receive an email from SBEC that will contain your FAST pass~ Make an appointment with the vendor (1-888-467-2080) and present your FAST pass at your fingerprint appointment~ Applicants will be required to pay the vendor a fee of $9.95 at the time of service

~Turn around time is approximately 48 hours vs. 2 weeks and the rejection rate is 2% vs. 25%.

Graduate with Undergraduate Degree (When all coursework + student teaching is completed)Degree must have been conferred; check your degree evaluation through Howdy.  If you have questions, contact Dr. Harlin.Complete Student Teaching with a C or better (End of Student Teaching Semester)All grades the semester of student teaching must be posted on your degree audit through my record with Cs or better.  If you have questions, contact Dr. Harlin.Recommend by TAMU-AGSC for Certification (As soon as everything above is completed AND you have graduated)When you have completed everything above, contact Jamie Norgaard at 979-845-5622 or jnorgaard@tamu.edu; provide her with your date of graduation, semester of student teaching, as well as dates of exams and scores.Check the Status of Your Certification (When you are fully certified)You will receive a teaching certificate through SBEC You can check your status by visiting:https://secure.sbec.state.tx.us/SBECONLINE/virtcert.asp

TeXeS Registration

In order for a student to be eligible to take the teXes, the student must meet one of the requirements listed below:

  1. completed or be in enrolled in the last semester of the approved certification program;
  2. be currently enrolled for the spring semester prior to summer completion of all certification requirements.

SBEC is only doing online registration for the test now. This means that you will

Commonly Asked Questions Concerning the TeXeS:

How many tests will I have to take?

Currently, our students take two tests.  The PPR (professional development) for grades K-12 (#160) and the Agricultural Science and Technology exam (#172).

What is my content area?

Your content area is Agricultural Science and Technology; there is a listing for Horticulture, but you don’t need to worry about that one. With Agricultural Science and Technology, you will be certified to teach everything under the agriculture umbrella, including the horticulture courses.

Do I have to sign up for the first available tests?

No, but we recommend that you take the tests sooner rather than later.

Where/how are the tests offered?

The tests are offered at a testing site that you designate when you sign up. For instance, there is one offered in the College Station area, west Houston area, etc. Once you sign up, you will receive your testing materials that tell you the exact location. Tests are multiple choice that you bubble with a pencil.  They have also started offering the tests on computer (only for the PPR 160 exam) for an additional fee.  Visit the TeXeS website for additional information on this flexible testing format.

I am interested in reviewing for the tests, where can I go?

If you are interested in reviewing for the PPR test, a couple of avenues are now available for free or cost:

Certificate Renewal (Professional Development Hours)

Visit the following SBEC website for information on renewing your certificate after 5 years:  http://www.sbec.state.tx.us/SBECOnline/certinfo/renewcertonline.asp

In order for a student to be eligible to take OTHER Subject Area tests, student teaching must be completed and the AGSC teaching certificate must be PROCESSED through TAMU and SBEC.  Please visit SBEC’s website for study guides in other subject areas.

Please call Dr. Murphy at (979) 862-3419, for any clarification on which teXes you need to take or any other questions you may have!!
Mailing Address:

AGSC Program Office
Department of Agricultural Education TAMU MS 2116
Texas A&M University
College Station, TX  77843-2116

Comments are closed.