Drs. Elliot, Dooley, and Redwine were invited by the Department of Rural Development and Agrarian Reform (DRDAR) of the Eastern Cape Province, South Africa to participate as part of a team of eight scientists from the Texas A&M System for five days of meetings during this past February. The DRDAR leadership coordinated an intensive and comprehensive itinerary throughout the Province to discuss needs assessment priorities with various stakeholders. The team of eight capitalized on their individual disciplines in the capacities listed below:
Capacity Building – Veterinary Services
- Para-veterinary training and Volunteer practicing and retired professionals – Susan Marie Culp, DVM, Institute for Infectious Animal Diseases
- Fort Hare Veterinary School – Elizabeth Parker, DVM, International & Strategic Partnership Specialist, Texas A&M AgriLife Research Dean’s Office, Former FAO Employee
Capacity Building – Extension and Research Services
- Curriculum Review – Professor Jack Elliot, Ph.D. Regional Director for Africa, Norman Borlaug Institute for International Agriculture and Development. Texas A&M University and Endowed Chair for International Agricultural and Extension Education.
- Food security, water conservation and security, the effect of climate change and climate smart agricultural approaches – Professor Gerard Eugene Henry D’Souza, Ph.D., Dean and Director of Land Grant Programs, Prairie View A&M University, College of Agriculture and Human Sciences
- Fellowship/Exchange Programs and On-Line/Distance Education – Professor Kim Dooley, Ph. D., Former Associate Department Head Agricultural Leadership, Education, and Communications and former Associate Dean Undergraduate Education.
- Youth Development – Assistant Professor, Tobin Redwine, Ph.D. Youth Development Project Leader, Field of Hope, Uganda
- Research Programs – Professor, David Ragsdale, Ph.D., Chief Scientific Officer and Associate Director, AgriLife Research, Texas A&M University
- Aquaculture and Maritime – Associate Professor Todd David Sink, Ph.D., Associate Department Head and Program Leader, Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences Extension Unit, Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences, and Aquaculture and Fisheries Extension Specialist