Aggie named Armed Forces Insurance Yuma Spouse of the Year

Military Spouse of the Yea

February 27, 2020 (YUMA, AZ) — Following hundreds of nominations nationwide and a national vote yielding more than 23,000 votes, Hana Romer ‘17 has been named the 2020 Armed Forces Insurance Marine Corps Air Station Yuma (MCAS Yuma) Spouse of the Year. Romer is currently stationed with her husband, 1stLt Nicholas Romer’ 17, MAG-13, at MCAS Yuma.

As a 10-year Marine Corps veteran, Hana’s story is unique because her military spouse journey started when she met her current spouse while both serving active duty. Being a dual active duty couple opened her eyes to the unique obstacles that couples serving together in our armed forces face daily. Since being honorably discharged from the Marine Corps in 2012 as a Staff Sergeant, she obtained her Bachelor’s degree from Texas A&M University in University Studies-Leadership. Hana’s husband Nick completed his degree in the same major the same year and he also participated in the Marine Corps Enlisted Commissioning Education Program (MECEP) at Texas A&M.

While at Texas A&M, Hana discovered a community of student veterans, and developed a passion for the unique obstacles that women veterans face, as well as, the everyday challenges of military families. As the wife of a Purple Heart recipient and mother of 2 military children, Hana continues to raise awareness about PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury, and support for military children.

In 2019, she was selected to be one of 14 advisory board members for the Military Family Advisory Network. Through the Military Family Advisory Network, Hana has the opportunity to collaborate with other leaders and influencers in the military community to raise awareness about issues that continue to affect military families across the world.

“Because I spent 10 years in a very purpose driven job with a clear mission, it was difficult for me to transition into my new role solely as a military spouse. I didn’t realize just how important (and difficult) the role of a military spouse was until it became my main focus. Since getting out of the Marine Corps, I feel so honored to be able to serve the military in a different capacity out of uniform,” Hana said.

“As I continue to navigate this chapter of my life, I am constantly in awe of other military spouses who I have met who are quiet champions within our ranks. I hope that through my role as an advisory board member on the Military Family Advisory Network, I can continue to be the voice for women veterans, dual active duty spouses, and military children. I truly believe that we are all one team, and that together we can make positive change.”

The program is organized by base-level winners, then top 18 finalists, then branch level winners, and, finally, the overall 2020 Armed Forces Insurance Military Spouse of the Year® (AFI MSOY) who are all selected by popular vote and judging panels.

As a base winner, Hana is now in consideration of being named the overall winner. After a final vote conducted on March 3-4, the overall winner will be unveiled at an awards dinner on May 7 at The Army Navy Country Club in Arlington, Virginia, in conjunction with National Military Spouse Appreciation Day, which occurs on May 8, said Lori Simmons, chief marketing officer at Armed Forces Insurance.

“Over the ten years Armed Forces Insurance has been involved with the Military Spouse of the Year® awards program, we have seen it grow and amplify the voice of the military spouse on a national stage,” Simmons said. “These spouses have pioneered initiatives, founded organizations, started businesses, and advocated for issues impacting the quality-of-life for military families in the best ways imaginable. We are thrilled to welcome the 2020 base winners to the AFI MSOY family and work alongside them to make an even bigger impact.”

To learn more about Hana and the other base winners, please visit www.msoy.afi.org.