ALEC graduate student wins big at 3MT competition

Kathryn Edmunds, a student in the Department of Agricultural Leadership, Education and Communications at Texas A&M University, has found some recent success with the 3 Minute Thesis (3MT) competition.

The 3MT research communication competition gives graduate students three minutes to orally present their thesis and its significance. This program challenges students to consolidate their ideas and research discoveries to present them concisely to a non-specialist audience.

In total, 51 students participated in the high-impact learning experience this year. Edmunds took home first prize in the master’s division and was also voted the People’s Choice Award.

Edmunds’ research outlined in her presentation, focuses on how students are faced with adversity and how they are able to thrive from it. The stories that inspired this research were accounts of individual’s challenged by terminal illnesses, domestic abuse and even war conflicts.

“I was amazed at the incredible humans who were steadfast in their commitments to keep pushing forward amidst the pain,” said Edmunds. “It was important to understand what made them different from anyone else.”

As a Georgia native, but raised in Florida, Edmunds started her academic graduate career at Texas A&M in the fall of 2017. “There is no other place like Aggieland,” said Edmunds. “Immediately captivated by the community, I knew Texas A&M was a place I could call home. Little did I know how much I would grow through my home in the ALEC department.”

Edmunds is set to graduate in May of next year and has her sights on developing a documentary titled The Grit Factor. The documentary will chronicle a series of individual accounts of thriving in the face of adversity. It will capture adversity of all shades and show the contagious strength of hope.