Debbie King retires after 46 years of service with Texas A&M

After 46 years of service in the Department of Agricultural Leadership, Education and Communications (ALEC), Debbie King, senior administrative coordinator, plans to retire.

Since 1971, King has served as the assistant to all ALEC Department Heads, including Drs. Earl Knebel, Herman Brown, Glen Shinn, Chris Townsend, Jack Elliot and Clare Gill.

King began her career at Texas A&M University when she was 18-years-old after marrying a former student in January 1971.

“I was a newlywed to an Aggie at the time and followed him to College Station,” King said.

After taking a year off, King came back to the department when Dr. Herman Brown, who was department head at the time, offered her a position.

“[Brown] said he had a place for me, and I knew I couldn’t pass up the opportunity,” King said.

Throughout her many years in the ALEC Department, King has worked with several student workers, graduate students and faculty. Her favorite part has been witnessing the continuance of Aggies through the generations.

“I got to work with student workers; then I saw their children and helped them in the department,” King said, “and now, it’s their grandchildren.”

In 2016, the Debbie King Scholarship was created by several former students who wanted to honor the impact that King has had in the department over the years. The scholarship is awarded to a student majoring in agricultural science with plans to pursue a career as an agricultural teacher.

A reception honoring King will take place in the spring. Donations can also be made to the Debbie King Scholarship at http://give.am/agls17.