Three ALEC Students Selected for First Cohort of Future Former Students

Future Formers-no box

By: Mollie Lastovica

Alyssa Spruill, Jordan Glidewell and Amanda Morris, all students in the Department of Agricultural Leadership, Education and Communications will represent Texas A&M University and The Association of Former Students as members of the inaugural cohort of the Future Former Students.

Founded by ALEC doctoral student Kevin Andrews, the group of 50 students university-wide will experience intensive leadership training and networking opportunities throughout the 2013-2014 school year.  ALEC faculty including Senior Lecturer Landry Lockett, Ed.D., and Assistant Professor Jennifer Williams, Ph.D., will assist with facilitating the group.

“This is an amazing opportunity to participate in an advanced leadership development curriculum developed specifically for Aggies,” Andrews said. “They will be able to network with key figures across the university, other student leaders and influential former students as they serve Texas A&M by hosting events and activities sponsored by The Association.”

The three student leaders are excited for the opportunity to grow and learn.

“Through Future Formers, my goal is to push myself to new limits in leadership, communication, selfless service and networking,” said Morris, junior agricultural communications and journalism student. “I believe that this program is going to place its members in environments with people who can only benefit us and our time here at Texas A&M. I think it would be impossible not to grow from an opportunity and experience like this one and I am very excited to get started.”

For Spruill, a junior agricultural leadership and development major, being part of Future Former Students is an opportunity to expand her leadership experiences on the university level.

“Although I am a member of several organizations associated with the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, I had a deep desire to represent Texas A&M University as a whole,” Spruill said. “Opportunities to apply for prestigious organizations like Future Formers do not come along very often and I am excited to work with some of our university’s finest students and enhance my leadership experience.”

As a first generation Aggie, Glidewell, sophomore agricultural communications and journalism major, was intimidated at first, but is now thrilled to serve the Future Former Students.

“During my group interview, I was surrounded by second, third, even fourth generation Aggies and as any fellow first generation student would know, this can be intimidating at times,” Glidewell said. “As the interview progressed and I learned more and more about the responsibilities of a Future Former Student, there was no doubt in my mind I would fit the part. To me, being a member of the Future Former Students means being part of something larger than oneself, while at the same time, learning and growing with Texas A&M.”

Andrews believes that the department’s representation within the first cohort of Future Former Students speaks for the quality of character and leadership ALEC instills in its students.

“By having one of the best showings in terms of students selected for  membership, this is proof that the ALEC Department shapes leaders and that its students stand out above the rest,” Andrews said.