ALEC Students Receive Awards of Merit from Gamma Sigma Delta

Gamma Sigma Delta graphic-no box

By: Mollie Lastovica

Gamma Sigma Delta, the Honor Society of Agriculture, is an international professional group dedicated to recognizing and accomplishing success in improving agricultural pursuits. The Texas A&M Chapter of Gamma Sigma Delta annually recognizes students in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and College of Veterinary Medicine for their scholastic contributions to agriculture.

Six students in the Department of Agricultural Leadership, Education and Communications received undergraduate and graduate awards at the Gamma Sigma Delta Annual Awards Reception April 17.

Jana Kubecka, agricultural leadership and development major, was recognized as one of two recipients of the Outstanding Junior Award of Merit.

“I work hard throughout the year and for my achievements to be recognized means a lot to me,” Kubecka said. “From an early age my parents drilled into my head that to be successful I must work hard and set the highest goals possible for scholastic achievement. Scholastic achievement is more than just a grade for me. It is a marker of where I am and where I need to go.”

Twenty-two Outstanding Graduating Seniors were presented with the Award of Merit and among those recipients were Megan Haas, agricultural communications and journalism, Megan Moore, agricultural leadership and development and Lockie Breeding, agricultural science.

“I feel very blessed to have even been considered for this award,” Breeding said. “I have always been extremely hard on myself when it comes to scholastic achievement.”

Graduate students were also recognized at the event with the Oustanding Graduate Student Awards of Merit. Among the five recipients of the Master’s Degree Award was Lexi Leventini, agricultural leadership, education and communications. David DeSousa, agricultural leadership, education and communications was recognized as one of six recipients of the Ph.D. Award.

“Working full time for the university and working on my doctoral degree have been a challenge, but with the support and guidance of my employer, committee members, family and by the grace of God I have been able to get this far,” DeSousa said. “This award has given me motivation to continue to work toward my academic goals and it shows that hard work pays off.”

To see the full list of award recipients, click here.  And to learn more about Gamma Sigma Delta, visit their website.