ALEC Students Intern at San Antonio Stock Show

San Antonio intern graphic_final

By: Caitlin Powers

ALEC students enhanced their professional skills as interns with the San Antonio Stock Show throughout the month of February.

Students leave the classroom to participate in hands-on internships. As an intern they are assigned a specific event or department of the stock show.

Agriculture leadership and development majors, Ashley Skeels, junior, and Kelsey Hirsch, sophomore, worked the Junior Breeding Heifer Show for their internship.

“It was neat to be able to see all of the hard work that goes into making the San Antonio Stock Show so successful,” Hirsch said.

Skeels said as an intern she was a part of every detail of the show from getting cattle checked in on time to making sure the show runs as smooth as possible, while Hirsch said her duties included organizing class ribbons, exhibitor check-in, assisting in generating class lists, and assisting officials for the Junior Breeding Heifer Show in the show ring.

“I was given the chance to learn from mistakes, apply what I already knew, and pick up some new communicating techniques as well,” Kelsey Hirsch said.

As a second-year intern, Skeels said it was just as much of a learning experience as her first year. She explained she had the opportunity to build on her communication skills, computer data entry skills, and developed a greater understanding of what it takes to run a large event.

“It is a lot of responsibility for a college student and something that requires a strong work ethic and great people skills,” Skeels said.

Interns from Texas Tech University also assisted with the show, giving you the opportunity to work with a larger network of people, Skeels said. “By the end of the week we all walk away with new friendships and great memories.”

Besides developing their professional skills, interns view the internship as a way to give back.

“I was able to work with the same amazing volunteers that were there my year that I won my scholarship,” Hirsch said.

Hirsch and Skeels are both on scholarship from the San Antonio Stock Show and feel their internship is way they are able to give back to the show that has given so much to them.

“I enjoy giving back to the stock show that has helped pay my way through college because of a scholarship,” Skeels said.

Hirsch said seeing the reaction of the scholarship recipients had the most impact on her. “For the older exhibitors, you could tell that they knew what it meant,” Hirsch said, “they had begun the journey of financing their future.”