AGCJ Student Named 2013 American Horse Publications Travel Award Winner

Vidrine AHP Award-no box

By: Mollie Lastovica

Senior agricultural communications and journalism student Misty Vidrine has been selected as one of three recipients of the 2013 American Horse Publications Travel Award Winners. Vidrine will receive a $750 travel stipend to attend the 2013 American Horse Publications Meet at the Peak Seminar in Colorado Springs, Colo. June 20-22.

For Vidrine, the decision to apply for this award is one that has led to the opportunity of a lifetime.  She heard about the contest only days before the application was due and decided it would still be worthwhile to apply.

“I decided to push myself and get everything ready in one day, because I knew it was an amazing opportunity for me,” Vidrine said.  “I am thrilled to be one of three chosen to attend the AHP Seminar in Colorado, because this is an opportunity of a lifetime and it could not have come at a better time.”

According to the AHP website, the organization was founded in the 1970s in an effort to unite equine publications across the nation. The organization conducts workshops, educational meetings and awards contests for members and students interested in equine publications while fostering cooperation between the countless equine industry publications.

Vidrine’s love of horses was developed at an early age as she notes her mother’s passion for the animals. Throughout high school, she participated in queens contests and showed horses in both the western and English disciplines across the state.

“When I came to college, I had to sell my show horse, but I know that I will get back to riding horses eventually,” Vidrine said. “Combining my passion for the sport and hobby of horseback riding with my communication skills has been a goal of mine for some time now.”

She is excited to network with equine publication professionals at the June seminar and has her fingers crossed that the recognition will lead to future career opportunities.

“I am looking forward to this learning experience and the chance to meet with leading equine publishing professionals,” Vidrine said. “I will be graduating in May, so hopefully this award will open some doors for me.”