Cade Taylor, ALEC Ph.D. Student, Still Learning to Do and Doing to Learn While Earning to Live and Living to Serve

Cade chalkboard graphis_NO BOX

By: Caitlin Powers

Cade Taylor spends most of his day in the classroom, but depending on the time of day he is either the teacher or the student.

Currently a Ph.D. student in the department, Taylor is also an agriculture science teacher at Anderson High School, thirty five miles southeast of College Station. Separately, being either a Ph.D. student or an agriculture science teacher would require the majority of the hours in a day, let alone both simultaneously.

“Most mornings my alarm clock goes off at 4:30 a.m. or 5 a.m. depending, whether or not I get to sleep in, 5 o’clock meaning I get to sleep in,” Taylor said.

Anderson’s school day begins at 7:30 a.m., officially starting Taylor’s time in the classroom as a teacher. Taylor teaches until after lunch, and then takes care of any administrative duties he needs to get done before making the drive to College Station to attend classes of his own.

Taylor is in the classroom as a student twice a week on Mondays from 3 p.m. – 6 p.m. and Wednesdays from 5 p.m.-8 p.m.

“It brings procrastination to a whole new level because my kids have to come first, and then school,” Taylor said.

He pointed out he is more productive when faced with more to do.

“I rather attack a mountain than go up some little sand hill,” Taylor said.

Taylor said getting more experience in the classroom while going to school at the same time will be better for him later on.

“Having that classroom experience is what makes you better in a lot of ways,” he said, “I think that is what is going to help me out the most.”

The ultimate goal for Taylor is to be able to teach higher education.

“I love teaching, I love teaching high school but I also want to be able to make sure that not only the kids are taken care of but also the instructors,  so when they go out they understand the passion of what they are doing.”

Regardless of where Taylor goes on to teach higher education he wants to be able to instill the passion for teaching agriculture education he received from Texas A&M, though as a freshman he never would have predicted he would be in his current position. Indeed, his journey to this point has been a winding one.

While many of his friends were heading to nearby Texas Tech University, Taylor left rural Childress, Texas, to head south for Aggieland. Aggies from the area encouraged him to apply, and to seek membership in the Corps of Cadets.

Taylor followed their advice, and was admitted. He graduated high school on a Friday and was in sitting in his first college class, POLS 207, on a Tuesday. In the fall Taylor joined the Aggie Band and took out an Army ROTC contract.

He planned to be commissioned into the army after graduation but suffered a knee injury during Basic Officer Leadership Course One and was medically discharged.

Taylor decided that he really enjoyed teaching and that it would be the career path he would take.

“I enjoyed my experience so much growing up in high,” he said, “I would love to do this job every day.”

Taylor said it is fun to see the kids’ look on their face when they have success, the same way he did as a high school student.

“I know what it feels like to be successful at the high school level and to see another kid get to go experience that, that is why I like to teach, for the student to be successful.”

One Response to Cade Taylor, ALEC Ph.D. Student, Still Learning to Do and Doing to Learn While Earning to Live and Living to Serve

1. Si Ragsdale says:

Way to go, Cade!
    Si