Extension Roots Lead Katy Weber Back to ALEC

By: Mollie Lastovica

The ALEC Department and Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service Organizational Development are pleased welcome Extension Assistant Katy Weber to their team.

A Jonesboro, Texas native and third-generation Aggie, Weber graduated with a Master’s of Education from the department in 2011 after completing her Bachelor’s in rangeland ecology and management with a minor in agronomy in 2010.

“I really enjoy getting to come back to the department and seeing a lot of the familiar, friendly faces,” Weber said. “It is nice to interact with everybody.”

Weber works directly with Extension Program Specialist Paul Pope in compiling data from program evaluations and relaying that information back to County Extension Agents.

“I help crunch the numbers and the data and then give it back to the agents and let them know where greater interest lies in the county and things they can help achieve for their county or improve on,” Weber said.

No stranger to Extension, Weber has worked in a variety of capacities through the service since serving as a high school student worker in the research branch.

“It has played a big part of my life for a while now,” Weber said. “I’ve enjoyed my time here and I really like being able to give back to the people in this state. I am able to give back to producers and landowners and people of the county and I don’t have to actually be in the county. I kind of get to touch on a lot of different things and I’m still using my degree, just not as hands on as I was before.”