Sosniak Seizes Opportunity, Earns Scholarship Recognition

By: Mollie Lastovica

Andrew Sosniak, senior agricultural communications and journalism major, was recognized at the 2012 Texas Association of Broadcasters Annual Convention August 8-9 as a recipient of the Vann Kennedy Scholarship. TAB awards eight $2,000 scholarships to Texas students annually and Sosniak was the lone Aggie to receive an award for the 2012-2013 school year.

“This scholarship is a sign that all my hard work and dedication is paying off,” Sosniak says. “After having to leave school for a few years due to family health issues, I told myself I would take advantage of every available opportunity presented to me while attending Texas A&M University.”

Sosniak has been working on an internship with CBS Radio Houston this summer and has hopes of returning full-time after graduating in December 2012. He is grateful for those who have helped him get this far while at Texas A&M.

“I believe everyone I have come in contact with at Texas A&M has helped prepare me to win this scholarship and I can’t thank them enough,” Sosniak says. “Professor Stempler helped critique my essay; Dr. Dunsford shared her insight into public relations; Dr. McKim and Dr. Zent sparked a greater interest in broadcast and provided my fellow students and me with an outlet to keep it exciting and creative. All of these people have helped me complete the package allowing me to be a qualified recipient of this scholarship as well as providing me with a valuable amount of skills viewed as assets toward CBS Radio Houston.”

Those who have worked with him during his time at Texas A&M University note how deserving Sosniak is of the scholarship’s distinguished recognition.

“Since he has been in our program, he’s gone out of his way to take every opportunity we have offered in the department,” Assistant Professor Billy McKim, Ph.D. says. “He is one of the most passionate people I have had in class and he’s going to do everything he can to be successful in the industry.”

Humbly grateful, Sosniak will enter his last semester with the same optimism and go-getter attitude that he start at Texas A&M with.

“With some hard work and dedication, everything is falling into place better than I could have ever imagined,” Sosniak says.