Faculty Spotlight- Dr. Lori Moore

by Angela Cox

Professors at Texas A&M University are more than just teachers. Not only are they here to educate you, students say, but also to listen and understand students’ questions and concerns.

If any professor was a shining example of that, it would be Dr. Lori Moore, assistant professor in the Agricultural Leadership, Education and Communications department.  Moore grew up in Clear Lake City and always dreamed of going to Texas A&M University.

“My brother was a freshman at TAMU when I was in the 10th grade,” Moore said, “I was even more an Aggie than he was.”

Texas A&M had a great agricultural science program that Moore knew she wanted to attend. Moore received a bachelor of science degree in agricultural science in 1994 and then added a master’s degree in animal science.  After teaching agricultural education at Alvin High School and Clear Lake High School for two years each, she enrolled in a doctoral program at the University of Florida.

“I went to the University of Florida because I wanted to go somewhere other than TAMU for a degree,” Moore said. “I looked at several programs and talked to several faculty members in the profession. The University of Florida was starting a new Ph.D program in Agricultural Education and Communication.  After a campus visit, I decided it was a good fit for me.”

Moore not only loves Texas A&M but she is extremely supportive of A&M traditions, such as Fish Camp.

“I went to Fish Camp as an incoming freshman. I know firsthand how beneficial it can be to incoming students,” Moore said.  Moore served as a fish camp counselor and now has a Fish Camp named in her honor and she says she cannot wait to meet the counselors who will be selected for Camp Moore.

“I will be getting to know them and encouraging them as they prepare for camp,” Moore said.

In addition to her Fish Camp namesake; Moore teaches many classes and is very involved in the ALEC program.

Moore is teaching the following classes this spring semester:

• Introduction to Leadership
  • Leadership Learning Community II
  • Foundations of Leadership Theory
  • Learning Organizations

What would Moore be doing if she was not teaching at Texas A&M?  “If I was not at Texas A&M, I would still be teaching at a high school.”

In her spare time, Moore likes to hang out with family and friends, as well as her Italian Greyhound named Taser.

Moore is one of many professors that allow Aggies to say “We love our school and are proud to be Aggies.”